Kazakhstan: China interested in resolving Syrian issue through political talks
Tuesday, Feb 14,2012, 9:16:42 PM
China is interested in resolving the situation in Syria through political consultations and dialogue, a member of the Chinese Foreign Ministry's committee for political consultations and China's former ambassador to Germany, Lu Qiutian, has said.
"China's interests are to create a peaceful environment, and for these reasons only, the Chinese government is in favour of building peace and stability in the region, against violence and bloodshed.
"We are talking about the need to resolve the relevant issues through a dialogue and political consultations," Lu Qiutian said at today's meeting with journalists in Almaty when he was commenting on China's veto to a UN Security Council resolution on Syria.
At the same time, Lu Qiutian noted that it was wrong in his opinion to assume that the veto was dictated by China's interests in energy resources in Syria.
"Some people also believe that China voted the resolution because China does not support the development and changes in this region. It is also wrong," he stressed.
"China has used its right to veto for those reasons that we must respect the sovereignty of any country in the world. How regimes and power change in any country in the world, and on what path of development goes a country - these issues should be resolved by the people of that country, and not at the behest of external forces," Lu Qiutian added.
According to him, China as a permanent member of the UN Security Council sees its role in "defending the statute" of the organization.
"It is unacceptable that the UN Security Council turns into a certain assembly line that will legalize resolutions aimed at interfering in the affairs of other countries," Lu Qiutian said.
You may also be interested in:
South Korean President Lee Myung-bak and Saudi King Abdullah bin Abdul Aziz al
China has played a significant role in the economic progress of Pakistan ever
The visit to China by Sudanese President Umar al-Bashir is a cementing of the
The Communist Party of China (CPC) must adhere to and improve the socialist
The chairman of the Independent Commission for Supervision of the
About This Article
- Most Read
- Most Discussed
- Most Emailed
- Afghan watchdog backs electoral tribunal's decision to disqualify some MPs
- China president urges party to hold socialism banner high
- Kenyan paper urges China to exert "positive influence" on Khartoum government
- Slovenia welcomes Croatia's completion of EU talks
- Zimbabwean ruling party keen to boost ties with Chinese leaders
- Former Russian intelligence officer's defence appeals against 25-year sentence
- Yemeni opposition coalition approves formation of "National Council"
- Pakistan to "greatly benefit" from increased cooperation with China
- Newspaper says West ignores problems with democracy in Albania
- Bahrain National Dialogue: Participants agree on political, economic issues