Afghan daily analyses conditions for strategic pact with USA
Thursday, Feb 23,2012, 8:51:07 PM
An American Senate delegation led by John McCain has held discussion with Afghan officials about the strategic relations document. Informed sources have said that in this discussion, the Afghan side once again stressed preconditions presented by the traditional loya jerga [grand assembly] to the Afghan government.
The preconditions include issues such as national sovereignty, overnight operations, bombings and the transfer of prisons to the Afghan government.
There is no doubt that having friendly relations with the USA and other powerful countries is especially valuable, and Afghanistan needs such relations more than other countries, because it suffered a lot in the past three decades.
However, friendship and hostility with superpowers entail some risks. There is an adage about the USA, saying friendship with the USA is more dangerous than hostility to it. Another benefit of friendship and good relations with superpowers is that weaker countries feel safe from superpowers' military forces.
However, if the USA, as the superpower in the strategic pact with Afghanistan, does not want overnight operations, prisons and civilian casualties to be obstacles to the signing of the strategic pact, what does such a strategic pact mean to the Afghans then?
If strategic friendship with the USA cannot help our country protect itself from its neighbours, ensure national unity in our country or save it from American attacks and bombings, then what is the need for such a friendship? Why will representatives of the nation sign such a disgraceful document?
The strategic pact with the USA is different from those signed with India and some European countries so far. It includes the issue of American military bases in Afghanistan which is a sensitive issue to our neighbours and some other countries.
The document should be signed with the USA only if it is worth all the risks. The traditional loya jerga's suggestions and preconditions are the best documents for officials in this regard, and they should respect them. If it is impossible for the USA to accept the preconditions; it is impossible for the Afghan nation to accept a document without these preconditions no matter if it is for friendship even with the USA.
You may also be interested in:
- Afghan daily analyses conditions for strategic pact with USA
- Afghan Taleban reject Karzai's latest request for direct talks
- Afghan paper views local forces' capacity in security transferred areas
- Japan lauds US support over March quake, tsunami
- US seeks explanation about Japan's energy policy after PM's remarks
The US has denied Wednesday [13 July] that it backed Lebanon's version of
About This Article
Three groups of countries which may react to the implementation of Iran's
A senior member of Tehrik-i-Taleban Pakistan's [TTP] intelligence group was
The operator of the crippled Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant said
- Most Read
- Most Discussed
- Most Emailed
- USA denies endorsing Lebanese version of maritime border with Israel
- PM says Pakistan "responsible" nuclear weapon state
- Russia's top court clears way for reopening high-profile Lukoil road crash case
- North Korean news agency delegation returns after US visit
- Nitrogen injected into crippled Japan reactor to reduce risk of hydrogen blasts
- China provides free health insurance to over 400,000 children
- Pakistan assured of continued US civilian assistance
- Russian businessman detained on charges of fraud over nuclear cruiser refit
- US must help Pakistan to ensure problems do not create issues for world
- Chinese premier urges stronger efforts to save energy, cut emissions